Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Life & death

The cremation for my dear friend yesterday was horrible. An impersonal service with no hymns, no readings, no tributes from anybody who had known him. Only 15 people were invited. Some of his old friends are arranging a memorial dinner at the Cavalry & Guards Club later this month and this idea has proved so popular that numbers have had to be closed at 40 amidst disappointment but the logistics were difficult. Another group of his friends is arranging a memorial service. For the record, when I die I'd like to be buried, have the service from the Book of Common Prayer and readings by my nearest and dearest, plus a jolly tribute if anybody could be persuaded to make one. Afterwards there must be a huge party with champagne and delicious food, all paid out of my estate. No tears please.

4 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

I've always said no tears at my funeral, only happy smiling faces and a bit of a party. People are not to be said when I'm gone ( they might be ecstatic after all!)

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of leaving my body to science, and thereby get into medical school, a goal I singularly failed to achieve in life..

10:36 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

KL - I don't think anybody will be ecstatic unless they're looking forward to inheriting your new billion dollar cloning business.

Anon - you remind me of a chap I know who wrote "Master of Disguises" in the "Occupation" section of his (old style UK) passport

11:29 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, WW. But at least the memorial dinner should be a more fitting occasion. I'm avoiding thinking about my own funeral at the moment. i'm not a churchgoer and I'm not sure what the alternatives, if any, are here. Anyway, won't be around to worry about it!

2:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home