Friday, November 02, 2007

Jugged hare

The Chinese are great believers in warming and cooling foods. Lychees are warming, melons cooling. One dish which is definitely warming (not that it's Chinese) is jugged hare. I made this for the first time last autumn and am starting to prepare for this year's appearance on the Sunday lunch table. Winchester farmers' market stocks the meat. The cooking of it is a week's process. First, drain off the blood and keep it in a bowl in the fridge. Secondly, dice the meat and marinate it in red wine with plenty of onions, carrots, juniper berries and a bit of garlic. Leave it for 3 days minimum, stirring occasionally. On the day, take the meat out and brown it, put it back in the marinade with some stock and cook it in a slow oven for 3 hours. Before serving, put the casserole on top of the oven, add the blood and heat it carefully. It is very important not to let it boil as it will curdle. I hadn't appreciated the meaning of blood-curdling until I made jugged hare.

12 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

What wine will you drink with it?
I would drink a Saint-Estèphe but Mr Eurodog would choose a Graves.
And you?

10:02 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

We usually drink Burgundy with game, maybe a Vosnes-Romanee or a Nuits St Georges

10:19 am  
Blogger Mark Wadsworth said...

Just to say congrats on being one of Ladythinker's guest blogs for this month. See, it's generated one extra comment already!

11:38 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Not so fond of Burgundy. Bon appétit all the same. Sounds good.

11:44 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you Mark and welcome. I always enjoy your incisive comments on Conservative Home

11:56 am  
Blogger Mopsa said...

A perfect dish around halloween.

3:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As we have a pet rabbit, this is one dish I could not share with you.

I do love lychees though, had no idea they were considered a warming food.

4:11 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Ellee - I once had a landlady who had a pet rabbit and who served us rabbit for dinner once. I looked out of the window and to my relief saw the old rabbit still in his cage. I must say I thought it was in pretty poor taste and it tasted pretty poor!

4:21 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

WW, As I was walking Belle on the Cornish cliffs this afternoon I was thinking about your lunch. Perhaps you were having a little siesta. Was lunch a success?
What wine did you settle for in the end?

6:41 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

ED - that is very kind of you. I've had to delay the hare until 25 November so shall let you know. We enjoyed a very good bottle of white bordeaux from Rouillac with some smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for supper last night.

8:16 am  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

Oh there is absolutely NO WAY I could eat a hare,not to mention the blood bit. We have a lovely hare who lives in our garden and I cannot imagine making a meal out of him.

12:30 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I've never made it but I am going to try this. It certainly sounds delicious and warming.

8:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home