Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Staples

Yesterday I had no time to blog as my aunt and various cousins descended on me for lunch. One of my favourite recipes for an easy lunch, which can be made in advance, frozen and simply reheated is a lamb casserole with apricots. Soak some dried apricots in half a pint of water overnight. Brown the cubed lamb in a casserole, preferably in dripping, but otherwise in a mixture of butter and olive oil, and keep warm. Slice 4-6 onions and a couple of garlic cloves and fry gently in the casserole for 10 minutes. Add 1-2 teaspoons each of cinnamon, carroway seeds and cardamom and 1-2 tablespoons of plain flour (depending how much meat you're using). Stir for a minute or two. Then add the meat and the apricots and their water, give the whole thing a good stir and put it in the oven on about 150 degrees for an hour and a half. I also made a dead easy bread and butter pudding using a pannatone which I'd bought in Florence and ready-made custard from M&S. Not bad!

10 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Did you have wine? Which one?
And "quelle horreur" mint sauce?

9:24 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

No "quelle horreur" mint sauce with the casserole, but if it had been roast lamb, bien-sur! We had the Wine Society Medoc which is a Borie-Manoux 2005 and rather good. Do you know it?

10:35 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

I prefer mint sauce with mutton, but redcurrant with lamb. Or caper sauce with mutton.
And M&Ss custard is to die for.

11:40 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

I am a great fan of Medoc and will look out for that particular one.

4:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great recipe. I have bought Nigella Lawson's latest book for her pear and chocolate sponge pudding which can be prepared in five minutes?

Do you add marmalade to your bread and butter pudding?

8:57 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Ellee - please give me the 5 minute recipe! I don't add marmalade to bread & butter pudding but it sounds good. Sweeter rather than bitter marmalade, I presume?

8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You basically line an flat oval shaped bowl with two tins of pears, make a chocolate sponge and pour it over them, then bake in the oven. It would be good to eat with chocolate custard.

I think you could try both marmalades for the bread and butter pudding and see which you prefer. It is scrummy.

6:45 pm  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

This is the kind of "fast food" I enjoy. No lamb in our house though; I will try it with chicken.
Nigellas fast chilli is very good also.

7:28 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sounds wonderful and I will be trying it, although lamb is difficult to find here. I am hungry now!

5:51 pm  
Blogger Penny Pincher said...

Will definitely try this lamb and apricot casserole.

10:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home