Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Racing uncertainties

It was a glorious day at Ascot yesterday where, in spite of having the option to sport "substantial fascinators", most women were wearing hats in the Royal Enclosure. In the first three races, only one of my horses came in so I thought I'd place a large bet on the favourite, Henrythenavigator, in the fourth. I was standing at ground level, a few yards back from the winning post and there was quite a crowd in front of me so I didn't have a clear view but I was disappointed when it came second and commiserated by one of our party, Edith, who'd had an each way bet on the horse which came third. I placed by bet for the next race at the Tote and was then invited for tea in the Owners' Dining Room by a friend who had a horse running in the final race. He was very excited because he'd done a place pot and every horse he'd backed in it had been placed so far, including Henrythenavigator. I growled at the fact he hadn't won. "What do you mean?" my friend asked, "He did win!" I was flabbergasted that Edith and I had been convinced that it was second and could only attribute it to the many glasses of champagne which had been consumed at our picnic. The awful thing was that I had thrown away the ticket at the Tote when I'd gone to place my next bet. My friend was doubtful that they would have kept it but said it was worth asking them about it. Crestfallen, I returned to the Tote. "I left a £50 to win ticket here on Henrythenavigator a couple of races ago as I thought he'd come second. I don't suppose you have it, do you?" "Yes, Madam, " the charming Jake replied. "I kept it for you!" He gave me the ticket plus £80 and that was the highlight of my day.

6 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

WW - I had forgotten the Jake expression. But I never took you for a punter....

9:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh ! You must be a lucky lady to get a 'second bite at the cherry', so to speak.

And pretty lucky with the weather as well - good on you !

7:24 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Ha ha KL (he was called Jake)
Thank you Anon - it was jolly lucky

8:36 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Good for you, I bet you looked stunning too.
I enjoy Newmarket races and my best flutter was on a horse called Climate Change which came in first at 33-1.

7:53 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a great day you had and how nice of the man to keep your ticket!

4:45 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

That was a good bet, Ellee!

7:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home