Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to Asia

I'm planning a quick trip to visit companies in Asia. It involves a day in Fujian province in China which is over the straits from Taiwan. I haven't been to China on business for 9 years but shan't be able to compare how things have changed as I have never been to Fujian before. The last time I went I was staying in one of the best hotels in Beijing and was robbed there, robbed so craftily that I did not notice it until I was back in London. I had a book of traveller's cheques in my suitcase. The thief did not take the whole book, just one cheque for $100 from the middle of the book. When I was doing my expenses back in London, I noticed that the cheque was missing and reported it. It had been cashed and was traced back to the hotel in Beijing.

7 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

That's why they are called Wiley Oriental Gentlemen, which was not originally applied to gentlemen of a dusky hue.

9:03 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I haven't used travellers' cheques for so long. What a wonderful trip to look forward to.

11:55 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What an exotic life you lead, WW. Hope you have no mishaps this time.

11:18 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi All - good to hear from you! Yes, travellers' cheques do seem rather dated these days, Ellee, but they're useful for China as you can't get RMB outside the country.

8:00 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi WL - my life may sound exotic but it involves a great deal of work. I am lucky to enjoy my work though.

10:50 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

You are lucky to enjoy your expenses too.....

5:51 pm  
Blogger Mopsa said...

I feel tired just reading about all the travel. I do hate it so; but I do love new places. I need a flying carpet.

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home