Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you may diet

As the market rally fizzles out, the glistening frost is washed away by drizzle and there is only a sorrowful piece of forgotten faded holly over a picture to remind me of Christmas, I am trying to recall my good cheer. One good memory was my New Year bomb, bombe to be precise, which was a meringue cake filled and coated with chestnut ice cream and then dusted with grated chocolate, courtesy of Nigella. Meringue doesn't freeze so the whole thing could be made in advance and brought out with a flourish on the day. One of my New Year guests was a superb chef turned soldier and the first pudding of 2009 was Grand Marnier souffles at 1.15am on 1 January. I do hope he can replicate that in Afghanistan. Off to the gym at lunchtime, ho hum.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the Cath for 0930 service on the 1st. You could have pooped over with a piece of left-over bombe for me!!! I suppose you just ate it ALL!

1:02 pm  
Blogger Mopsa said...

I adore Grand Marnier - and get quite churlish if given a Cointreau as a supposedly ok alternative. And in a souffle? I'd have died and gone to heaven!

5:54 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

Sermons and sodawater are the best cure for hangovers.The Banks and markets could do with a 6 months cure.
Your grub sounds lishy.The only drawback is it isn't HEAVY on the dark chocolate.....Supposed to be good for you...

7:17 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Sorry about that Anon - and there was some left over for another feast...

If you ever come to Winchester, let me know, Mopsa and I'll try to make it. The key was putting the souffle dishes in the oven in a baking tray half filled with hot water which made the souffles rise much higher (we did a dry run earlier without that).

My environment's more replete with sermons than soda water, KL. I found a fabulous small chocolate factory on the Mornington Peninsula in Oz. I wouldn't describe myself as a chocoholic but it is disappointing that the Christmas chocolates are nearly at an end.

12:00 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

PS can't believe you need the gym - just eat more chocolate...

1:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring it on over next Sunday and we can eat it during the sermon ...

Mind you, Roly will want some too ...

Liz

4:34 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Too kind, KL, but the gym makes me feel happier than chocolate - no doubt because of the higher number of endorphins.

Too late now, Anon!

11:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doh! Typical story of my life!
L

1:43 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Both sound wonderful puddings. Poor soldier, off to Afghanistan.

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home