Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rolling out the red car


A friend told me this anecdote about a trip to see an old American friend:


"I went to visit him in the Chicago area and he had a small to medium French chateau style house. I said that it looked like a French chateau. 'Wrong' he said 'It isnt like one - it is one. I brought it over, every stick & stone from Normandy.' He was lending me a car while I was in the Chicago area for 10 days. We went into his garage palace to collect 'The Red Car for Mr B'. The first car I saw there, among many, was a red Rolls Royce convertible with white side wall tyres. This was a rather cold December so I said that I would find difficulty managing the Roller. 'Not for you buddy! This is the car which Richard Burton bought Liz Taylor for their second wedding and I have just bought it!'
(Sorry I couldn't find the right photo!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous kinglear said...

Actually, there are several chateaux that have been transposed across the pond.
Not to mention London Bridge....

5:06 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ah, they don't do things by halves across the pond!

2:12 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Sounds like The Cloisters in New York. Or the Isabella Stewart Gardener house in Boston. You get the feeling these wealthy peolpe went to Europe with a vacuum cleaner. I am still trying to work out how "items" were selected. For their weight, maybe.

8:52 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I'd love to have ridden alongside Burton in it while he recited Under Milk Wood to me.

11:09 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

It'll be the Chinese next...

2:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home