Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A haven of honesty


I am very grateful that there have been no riots in my vicinity. My friend in Clapham said the only shop not looted on St John's Road was Waterstone's. To put things in context, my most recent main distress was losing my watch. I'd just bought a shiny mock-croc daffodil coloured new strap for it, cheered by the prospect of sunshine on my wrist. I fitted the strap myself and it was rather loose. In fact, it was so loose that it fell off twice on the first day of its new ensemble. Regardless of this, I wore it to work and was mortified to discover on Monday afternoon that my wrist was bare. The watch was not in the office, not in my car, not in the area between. I'd visited Asda in Bournemouth at lunchtime so, as an outside chance, I went back there yesterday lunchtime. The girl at the lost property desk got out her book. The first three articles found in the supermarket on Monday were a five pound note, a Samsung mobile phone and a watch. "What's the description of your watch?" she asked. "It's most notable feature was a bright yellow strap," I replied. "Yes, it's here." she said, delving into a polythene bag in the safe labelled 8 August. The sunshine had returned.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angus said...

Thank heavens trust ,that basic building block of society, still exists somewhere. Reading the French press today you'd think that civilised life had come to an end .

1:29 pm  
Blogger Cuby said...

What is going on? Well any way your watch anecdote cheers the soul when we know that these riots are a very small minority and the world is still full of good folks, the vast majority. I too am far from where it is happening it makes me feel sad for those affected. Nice to find your blog. I'll be back.I invite you to visit mine.

3:07 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

So glad you got it back, WW.

3:48 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

WW,
Somehow I am not surprised to hear about Waterstone's not being attacked!
The story of your watch is heart warming.

7:02 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you all

11:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home