Friday, February 16, 2007

Lost in translation

One of my colleagues is over from Milan and she was telling me about the beauty of Sardinia where she has an apartment near an amazing pink beach, appropriately called La Spiaggia Rosa. "It's completely pink because of the ostriches," she said. "Ostriches?" I queried, "Do you mean flamingos?" "No, ostriches!" she replied and asked "What do you call the packaging of an ostrich?" Puzzled by her drift, I unhelpfully suggested "An egg?" She then said the word in Italian and all became clear. The sand is pink because of many pulverised oyster shells so the beach has a mother-of-pearl gleam and the water is translucent.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crikey - they have the world's funkiest fashions, they have Ferrari, and they have a PINK BEACH !!! Wow!








[Okay, Ferrari are in Maranello, but why let the facts get in the way of a good posting].



By the way, I'm sure you are aware that it is possible to have a 'pink ' horse - think of one breeding from a grey and a red.

12:48 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Isn't that a roan?

1:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you are right. Reminds me of that great television series of 'Flambards' with Christine McKenna and a cast of many horses...

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home