Monday, March 05, 2007

Spring cleaning

Enough was enough. From our office window Knightsbridge appeared to be shrouded in a permanent veil of smog. A helpful handyman called in and now it’s so bright that I can hardly see the screens in the glare, which is no bad thing in these precarious markets.
My boss came over from Italy and exclaimed, “See how beautiful London is! What blue skies. You can’t see blue in Milan: there’s always a grey or white cloud overhead.” I resisted the temptation of suggesting the services of a window cleaner.

2 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

Gosh - it does sound like you have an intersting job! I look out on a train line. But my windows are clean.

6:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work in a funkily designed office [Ove Arup] with floor to ceiling window which had to be cleaned by some helpful chaps with those 'carabiner' thingies to hook up to the safety harnesses while walking on the metallic grid 'walkways' on the outside. I thought that was a jolly exciting job. The views were very good at one point, Bristol Cathedral, the Harbourside, SS Great Britain. Until the day came when I actually had to do some work and the benefit of a 'window seat' was no longer what it once was. As if to add insult to injury they started to put yet more buildings up, far more crappily designed than ours which obscured the views. So that was it for me - I had to go and find new pastures.

Sounds like you have the reverse problem, Whisperer ? 'What the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve'. Now that you know what lies beyond those dirty windows I feel that your bid for freedom can only be a matter of weeks away ?

What do you reckon, just the two of us, a slow boat to China...[That's enough. Ed] Oh, I hate it when that happens and Ed puts the kybosh on yet another plan...

Some other day, Whisperer, some other day...

7:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home