Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Life in the fast lane

Florian Homm has resigned from Absolute Capital Management, the hedge fund company which he co-founded. He personally injected £23m into the company when it was having a bit of a disaster in August. None of the board followed suit or offered to give up their bonuses so Herr Homm resigned. The FT's report on this says that he has had a colourful career which includes being fined twice by German regulators and being shot during a robbery in Venezuala. I was reading this to my Italian colleague who unfortunately is deserting us for Barclays at the end of this week. "Is he young?" she asked. "It doesn't say," I replied, "Nor does it mention if he's married." The FT rarely discusses the interesting details.

6 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

At the risk of being accused of sexist stereotyping,if I was young, Italian, female, relatively good looking - ok, if I was female - I would scan the pages of the FT for suitable prey, like this gentleman.
If, on the other hand, I was me (male, old etc etc) I would know that not even the most unattractive female could possibly be interested. If, however, I just happened to slip into the conversation something about my Chateau, my flat in Paris,the Borgo in Tuscany - along with a casual reference to my holding in my own hedge fund ( up 100% since monday), and told a funny story about my driver and bodyguards, then just possibly even your Italian colleague might be interested.( You might pass all that on.......)I permanently think of Benvenida Buck, who made a fortune out of several older men but practicing horizontal jogging to such a degree, that one of them even died at it. Shocking.

9:29 am  
Blogger Mopsa said...

Perhaps Florian can go sort our Northern Rock?

11:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winchester - I'm disappointed that such a talented, witty, urbane, tasteful and stylish lady such as yourself has such shockingly facile and superficial taste in men..

Luckily we chaps are never ones to be that shallow when it comes to appraising the opposite sex...

12:44 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

KL - I'll pass your comments on.

Mopsa - for a brief moment I thought you wrote "short" not "sort"

Anon - thank you for your backhanded compliments!

2:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw - "The lives of others" is now out on DVD..Highly recommended.

8:13 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

The FT have, indeed, left out the most important part!

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home