Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Turkish delight

I taught English to a family in Antakya (ancient Antioch) in my gap year. My pupils were two beautiful, lively Turkish girls, both senior to me, who'd just graduated from Ankara University. They lived in a flat with their parents, their elder married sister had a flat on the floor above and their two brothers were working as doctors in Germany. Living in the flat with that family was an interesting experience. The daily timetable revolved around food. A large breakfast was followed by listening to the girls read The Times to me (it was air-mailed everyday), explaining vocabulary and correcting pronunciation. Meanwhile a four course lunch was being prepared by the cook who came by bus from a local village. There was a two hour siesta after lunch. The mother and sisters would then take me out to tea at the house of one of their friends. There was a large tea party circuit, women only of course. These were ritualistic: tea with savouries, then coffee with baklava and lokum (aka Turkish Delight) and sometimes Turkish dancing. One of my pupils, the lovely Bute, who is now a Professor at Antakya University, was an excellent belly dancer. We'd then go home, watch television and end the day with, you guessed it, a light supper. I was size 8 when I arrived there and never managed to recapture that waistline. Sigh!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe, many of us chaps would be grateful for that - if only more girls were aspiring to be 'Nigella' than 'Sienna'..[sigh]..

1:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a more serious note, WW, have you never thought of writing your auto biography ? It is far too exciting too leave until written up after you have left us in a Guardian 'Other Lives' obit piece - you want to have fame and fortune whilst you're still around here to enjoy it !

1:08 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Too kind, Anon

1:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could I suggest you take up belly dancing too? It's great for the figure. I certainly have the belly for it.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Janejill said...

Hello WW - your Gap Year sounds so interesting - have you read The Cairo Trilogy? A very faint touch of that , in the way family and food were so important. Well you should be very pleased - I have yet to achieve a size 8, and time us definitely running out.

7:03 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi JaneJill - I have read the Alexandria Quartet but not the Cairo Trilogy although I did hear parts of it on Radio 4 which were excellent. Have you been to Egypt?

7:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home