Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Chinese foie gras

There's a great article in today's FT about Chen Xiuhong who owns 3000 imported French geese and 10,000 of their Chinese born offspring on the banks of the Hepu reservoir in Guangxi province. This man introduced karaoke to China in the late 80s and was one of the first private property developers in the early 90s. "Karaoke spread slowly from Guangzhou and Shanghai all over the country. Foie gras will be the same" he says. He owns the Hong Yan Goose Heaven restaurant in Nanning which is decorated in the style of a European Alpine lodge and has private rooms named after European cities including London, Paris, Rome, Cambridge, Cannes and Porto. It seems that he doesn't offer Sauternes with the foie gras: he serves a 2005 Beaujolais and disdains the usual Chinese habit of draining the glass in one with a shout of "gan bei!", Chinese for "dry glass".

8 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

2005 Beaujolais? I wouldn't even brush my teeth with it.

4:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would be worried about inviting you for dinner in case I served the wrong wine too. Are there some delicious Chinese wines you could recommend?

5:17 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Ellee - I haven't been to China for 8 years and then the only decent wine was Great Wall. The problem is that wine doesn't go well with Chinese food. One of the best to have with it is Gervertztraminer.

8:09 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Chinese foie gras... hmmm.
Chinese foie gras served with U-Boot fuel...bah.

8:46 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

I didn't think you'd be impressed, ED.

8:56 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

WW - hate to be pedantic but is it nor Gewurtztraminer, with an umlaut on the u. And ED, U-Boat fuel? Surely not - the U-boat would lose power.

4:01 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you, KL - I stand corrected.

4:04 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I've never been to China but I would like to see the Great Wall. Chinese foie gras- doesn't quite seem right to me!

8:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home