Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Feathered friends

Lady Thinker was talking about her parliament of rooks the other day (http://sidmouth-town.blogspot.com/2008/01/noisy-neighbours.html) which made me think of my own feathery friends whom I look out for every weekday morning at about 7.45am when I'm walking down Knightsbridge from Hyde Park Corner. They are a pair of magpies and it is extraordinary to think that whilst they have the whole of Hyde Park in front of them, they choose instead to have their nest high up in a tree on the Knightsbridge pavement. My only explanation is that they are fascinated by the bright headlights of the cars. Anyway, I hear them squawking every morning and have fun trying to spot them as they're out of their nest by that time and usually flying around the surrounding trees on the edge of the park. One is never far from the other. Today I heard their familiar cry as I was walking along and I looked up and saw one on a branch. At first I couldn't see the other but then I spotted him just as he was jumping back into his nest. I never see them at any other times of day so I presume they stick to a strict routine just like Lady T's rooks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

We have one robin in our small towngarden. I feed the birds crumbs but sometimes I am running late and sometimes I even forget. He comes and sits on the edge of the flowerpot near the feeding place and sings his heart out. Message to me: "Where are you?"

10:31 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Robins are faithful, friendly, territorial birds. I had a dear one in my garden last year. No sign of him yet this year. It's fun feeding birds. I fed some Australian magpies (who have a most melodious song, by the way) in the garden where I was staying on my hols and they'd come back for breakfast every morning.

10:50 am  
Blogger Mopsa said...

Not my favourite birds, magpies. Give them half a chance and they'll steal my duck eggs and indeed young ducklings.

2:36 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

They are obviously creatures of habit and wait for you to pass by. And one for sorrow, two for job, so a nice number.
I saw two robins in my garden today, they are always very cheering. I have a stunning bird table in my garden made by my son for his GSCE project.

P.S. Your are an early bird, btw, being in central London so early each week day.

6:36 pm  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

We didn't have magpies in Ireland until after the 17th century. Now I know there are at least two and they live in my garden. We still don't have snakes.

12:01 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Mopsa - didn't know they eat young birds. Sounds horrible.
Greetings Ellee - yes I'm so looking forward to giving up the 5.30am alarm call. Roll on next week!
Morning Marina - was it St.Patrick who got rid of the snakes over there?

9:54 am  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

Yes St Patick just said "get the h... out of here" or something like that I think. Good job as I really do not like them.

12:01 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That makes me think of my "little family" of sparrows back in old Cardiff! I'm glad you spotted the magpie's partner.

11:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home