Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pomegranates or passion fruit?

I was making a Nigella Express recipe the other day which consisted of roasting some duck breasts, carving them into thin slices on a large platter covered with lettuce leaves, pouring the meat juices over them and then scattering some pomegranate seeds and a little pomegranate juice on top as well as some torn mint leaves. The only problem was that I had bought passion fruit instead of pomegranates. Not only did the passion fruit seeds sit like frogspawn on top of the duck in stark contrast to the jewelled pomegranate seeds in the photo of the recipe book but also the very strong flavour of the passion fruit rather detracted from the duck. Her watermelon, feta cheese and black olive salad was well received, however, as was my summer pudding. Memo to self: stick to the instructions.

5 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

Couldn't you just have given them mince and potatoes? If properly done, it is the food of the Gods.

3:14 pm  
Blogger Gone Back South said...

Write this memo to yourself too: I'm utterly marvellous for attempting such cuisine adventures.

8:48 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm sure it was fine, WW!

5:23 pm  
Blogger Mopsa said...

You know, I can't see pomegranate going with duck either. Call me old fashioned but I like the bramble, so would have gone for a blueberry or similar at this time of year. The salad sounds lush.

4:12 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

BTW both are supposed to be good for making one feel frisky....

7:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home