Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Feast of St Swithun

I was in London yesterday so had no time to post on St Swithun's day. At least it didn't rain. Last year, true to form, it rained for 40 days after a wet 15 July. The only feast going on in my immediate vicinity was in my garden where, early in the morning, about ten birds were eagerly pulling out tufts of grass from the middle of the lawn to enjoy a hearty breakfast of chafer grubs. We had a plague of these grubs two years ago. The lawn was destroyed and had to be reseeded so I was grateful in a way for St Swithun's rain last year. It is so distressing to see the hungry birds ruining all that effort.

2 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

If yesterday is anything to go by in Romania they are in for a deluge for the next 40 days...

6:09 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd forgotten all about St Swithin!

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home