Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Slippery sardines

My colleague went to Sardinia in August and bought a garden bench. He paid half by credit card and half by bank transfer. At the end of September the bench had not arrived. He called the shop who assured him it had been sent. He called the local bank who said they'd call the shop on his behalf. The bank said the shopkeeper would send them the shipping documents to prove it had been sent. These did not arrive. My colleague cancelled the credit card payment. He spoke to the bank again. They said that the shopkeeper had been summoned in to see them. This week the bench arrived together with documents stating that it had been shipped last week. Now my colleague is repaying the cancelled credit card payment.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

You just don't know when to give up, do you. Let's hope he enjoys a good rest in it anyway. It must be very special if he went to that trouble in the first place.

6:26 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

Apart from wondering why a garden bench needs to be shipped from foreign parts ( save the planet!) this is a typical Sardinian trick. I used to import lemons from there and every time they applied for the cash from the letter of credit we had to go to the bank and PROVE we had not received them. Then they would turn up, having been send a week later

7:21 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Ellee - yes I must ask him if he's got some comfortable cushions for it. I still haven't used my Mexican hammock.

Hi KL - I didn't know you had citrus interests. Lemon blossom has a wonderful scent.

8:34 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

It does - but I only imported the lemons themselves. BTW I always used to say that whoever invented the pip-less lemon would make his fortune. They have managed it - but it doesn't taste the same so no cigar.

8:43 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Who invented the pip-less lemon? I've never seen any. My colleague was telling me that Shell has built a 1km by 1km plant in Qatar to manufacture oil. Not sure about its quality but it's a loss maker at the moment.

9:27 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, I was thinking it must be a very nice bench, too.

9:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home