Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Can you hear me?


Ever since my father got his NHS hearing aid earlier this year, we have a routine conversation with my question, "Would you like me to put your hearing aid in?" and his reply, "What did you say, dear?" The main problem with the hearing aid is that he can't put it on or adjust the volume by himself. The other is that we went to a party in March where he sat next to a 101 year old lady who spoke to him for 45 minutes. However, because of the background noise, he could not hear a word she said and this has made him lose complete confidence in the hearing aid. He now says it's "hopeless" and refuses to wear it.

A couple of weeks ago, his attention was caught by an advertisment in a local paper for hearing aids purporting to be far better than those of the NHS. He arranged an appointment with the company and a charming young woman came over to our house. She sat very near my father and explained her business. He understood what she said and congratulated her on her enunciation. She started with a hearing test and asked him to close his eyes and to repeat after her 20 words. "Death," she said. "Desk," he said. "Bat", she said. "Back," he said. "Slice," she said. "Choose," he said. "Deaf," she said. "Desk," he repeated and so it went on. The result was that he scored 7 out of 20. I hadn't realised how much he depends upon lip reading.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Yes, I know all about lip reading. I have a friend who is younger than I am - so nothing to do with age - who was recently diagnosed as being partially deaf. The doctors told her that this probably occured in early childhood and that she had been lip reading for all this time.

5:49 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

I recently took a hearing test as everyone says they can't hear themselves think when I am watching the TV.
My hearing is perfectly normal - for a deaf old buffer....
That's not actually what the doc said - he said for a man of my age who had shot all his life, my hearing was as good as could be expected...

8:14 pm  
Blogger Mopsa said...

Yup, been through that with the Mother...a very difficult adjustment. And now it's afflicting my generation. Mine ain't quite what it was either...far off the need for hearing aids but clearly not as good as in my yoof.

4:39 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi ED - one just has to remember to face the person when speaking.

Bravo KL, the best rikiki player in Albert!

Hi Mopsa - I'm also finding that I don't really enjoy listening to pop music any more - am blaming it on my ears.

8:16 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It rather sounds as if your Dad enjoyed the test with the charming young woman! It also sounds as if he has become very good at lip reading.

10:37 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

You are right WL, but he went off her when she mentioned the price!

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home