Friday, August 20, 2010

RIP Edwin Morgan


Opening the Cage: 14 Variations on 14 Words


I have to say poetry and is that nothing and am I saying it
I am and I have poetry to say and is that nothing saying it
I am nothing and I have poetry to say and that is saying it
I that am saying poetry have nothing and it is I and to say
And I say that I am to have poetry and saying it is nothing
I am poetry and nothing and saying it is to say that I have
To have nothing is poetry and I am saying that and I say it
Poetry is saying I have nothing and I am to say that and it
Saying nothing I am poetry and I have to say that and it is
It is and I am and I have poetry saying say that to nothing
It is saying poetry to nothing and I say I have and am that
Poetry is saying I have it and I am nothing and to say that
And that nothing is poetry I am saying and I have to say it
Saying poetry is nothing and to that I say I am and have it

6 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Yes, RIP.

9:37 am  
Anonymous kinglear said...

I have to say I was never that impressed with what he wrote. As a grand old national treasure, he was possibly without parallel in present day Scotland

12:53 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I didn't know of him but the poem is intriguing.

3:20 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Why stop there? He certainly enjoyed playing with words.

7:08 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

I was hoping one of you would know of a better poem!

3:14 pm  
Anonymous kinglear said...

Ah WW you have hit the nail on the head! A national Scottish Treasure- but a poet ( to my mind) a la McGonagle. On the other hand, who wouldn't THRILL to:"The Tay the Tay the Silvery Tay..."

6:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home