Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Remember, remember


I took my father to the doctor's for a formal memory test this morning.

Doctor: I have 30 questions for you, some very stupid, some more challenging. The first one is which year is it?
Father: Ummm...I'm not sure about that.
Doctor: Which season is it?
Father: Autumn.
Doctor: Which month is it?
Father: September.
Doctor: Which day is it?
Father: Tuesday.
Doctor: What's the date?
Father: Is it the 18th?
Doctor: Which country are we living in?
Father: England, I hope.
Doctor: Which county?
Father: Hampshire.
Doctor: Which town?
Father: We live in a city...Winchester.
Doctor: Please spell WORLD backwards.
Father (whose hearing's not good): DROW.

And so it went on. My father answered 20 out of 30 questions correctly. The pass mark was 26 so he is being referred to a memory clinic. When we were walking home he asked me, "What were we doing at the doctor's?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Dear man!

6:52 pm  
Anonymous kinglear said...

It is very sad - my father had alzheimers and had no idea what was happening for several years before he died. I would have to say i think your dad has done really well!

9:15 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

He is, ED.

Thank you, KL.

7:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home