Monday, September 03, 2012

Nonagenarian update


We went to my father's friend's 90th birthday party yesterday. He's recovering from a heart attack but in good spirits and pleased to receive, amongst other things, a selection of cakes from the Raymond Blanc cafe in Winchester. My father's old colleague who fought in the Battle of Britain came for a sunny lunch in our garden on Saturday. He's been in hospital with pneumonia, has a bad cough, is very hunched over and can hardly walk; nevertheless, he is his usual charming self: "How beautiful you look!" was his greeting to me. My father is virtually blind at the moment, which we hope is temporary. I'm gettting a hearing aid made for him as he used to rely so much on lip reading. We struggle on.

6 Comments:

Anonymous kinglear said...

Best wishes for a true gentleman

9:22 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you KL

9:45 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, do wish your Dad a belated happy birthday from me. I also hope the blindness is temporary. His friend sounds such a gentleman!

3:00 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you WL

4:42 pm  
Blogger Angus said...

See you posted on September 3rd. A special day of memories for that generation of heroes. Will we see their like again ?

5:53 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Possibly, Angus, if we have WW III.

7:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home