Thursday, March 27, 2014

Age did not wither her


My friend's Granny hadn't been well for a couple of years and recently died, aged 94. The family was going through her things and found a photograph which was so surprising that they ordered a copy of her birth certificate. The year of birth was registered as 1909, not 1919. Even her daughter had never suspected her to be 10 years older than she pretended. My friend was sad. "We had a party to celebrate her 90th," she said, "but we'd have had a much bigger one if we'd known she was 100!"

5 Comments:

Anonymous kinglear said...

Ladies of a certain vintage have always been very coy about their age. My mother always insisted she was just over 70 - even though she was considerably over 80. And eventually 90!

5:36 am  
Blogger Jenny Woolf said...

What a story! I had a relative who died at nearly 104. For the first 70 years of her life she apparently knocked 10 years off her age, and for the remainder she added 10 years on. She really was nearly 104 though. Wow! I suppose your friend's granny felt a bit embarrassed at admitting her white lie after all this time - or perhaps she had started believing it herself!

9:15 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

RIP the King Mother!
Hello Jenny. Did she really pretend to be 113?

9:40 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I wonder why she did it?

9:37 pm  
Blogger janerowena said...

I have always said that once I get to 60, I shall add another ten years to my age, so that everyone will say 'My goodness! You do look young for your age!'.

10:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home