Monday, March 03, 2014

Sad story of the moment

My poor dear friend underwent months of chemo last year and was finally given the all clear in January. In February, her left leg felt slightly numb and after a few days she went to the doctor, thinking she had a trapped nerve. She was sent to hospital for a scan and was told she had a brain tumour and that it should be operated on as soon as possible. She was admitted to the hospital in Tooting last Wednesday evening and told she must fast until after the operation on Thursday.
On Thursday morning, a trainee brain surgeon came to see her.
"Good morning," he said. "Mr X is going to be doing your operation today."
She waited and she waited.
In the early afternoon the young doctor returned.
"I'm very sorry but Mr X has had to leave for the day. Mr Y will now be doing the operation. Don't worry: he's got a medal!"
My friend wondered what he'd got a medal for. Long jump?
At 4pm the young man came back again.
"It's 4 o'clock now and far too late to be starting an operation on the brain. Also, the tumour's very close to the motor neurone and there's a possibility that you may lose the use of your left leg completely. We think you should go home and consider your options. If you still want to go ahead, we can operate next week!"
My friend was unamused to say the least and doubly so when they suggested that she should get advice from her original oncology consultant at the Royal Marsden. She had presumed the two hospitals would have already spoken to each other.
She's going to have the operation tomorrow so please pray that it will be successful.


Blogger Sheila said...

Cannot imagine having brain
surgery done by a doctor I'd
never even met before. Plenty
wrong with our health care in
the States, but we would always
have consulted with the surgeon
long before being wheeled into
the OR. Of course we also pay
plenty. I'll have your friend in
my thoughts.

2:17 am  
Blogger Winchester whisperer said...

Hi Sheila - I think that the normal practice over here is to meet the surgeon before the operation. In my friend's case they were in such a rush that the protocol seems to have been forgotten. Many thanks for your kind words.

8:55 am  
Blogger janerowena said...

Oh my word - my niece had weeks of consultations before hers even though it was urgent! I do hope she is ok.

2:13 pm  
Blogger Winchester whisperer said...

Thank you JR

2:32 pm  
Blogger Angus said...

Rather late in catching up. I do so hope all has gone well.

6:54 pm  
Blogger Winchester whisperer said...

Thank you, Angus. She's had the op and hopes that the loss of movement in the left ankle and foot will be temporary.

8:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home