Monday, March 12, 2007

Dreams of the dead

I stayed at my father's house last night and dreamed that I could hear him talking to my mother. I got up (in my dream) and walked into the bathroom where I had an awful shock: my mother's body was in the bath. I was thinking that my father had brought her dead body back to the house for some reason when all of a sudden she sat up, smiling. "Mummy, you're back!" I cried. "I didn't mean to frighten you," she replied, "You've no idea how much security I had to go through to get back here!" Frustratingly, we couldn't continue the conversation as I woke up in a panic.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Winchester, I feel so sorry for you. These things can be really awful. I used to think those scenes in films where people woke up with a start and sat up in bed were just a bit of melodrama. But I suffered from stress and insomnia for a while, and had dreams where they were so vivid, they would wake you up.

The only thing that I can say in their favour is that they are a way of allowing one to come to terms with the difficulties of the day, and they can be very cathartic in getting rid of the 'trash' that is building up from the trials of daily life.

This is going to sound like a bit of a lame suggestion, but pop out and buy some Valerian tea. It will not stop the bad dreams, but it can have a calming effect after a very bad one, and is better than lying in bed in a real state. I do hope that you feel better soon. Cheers.

11:04 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

They may be gone but they remain with us forever.

4:00 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I do feel for you. I don't think it's uncommon to have dreams like that about our parents. The trouble is, I think, that our deep fears and our worries about daily life get muddled up with our reminiscences when we sleep.

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home