Monday, December 31, 2007

Games

My sister and nephew visited yesterday and we had a game of Scrabble with my father. We have very strict house rules: no slang, no prefixes and there's a list of two letter words which are and are not allowed. This resulted in much consternation, culminating in outrage at the realisation, two turns too late, that "zo" (Himalayan cow) was allowed. I brought my nephew a boomerang back from Australia and we had great fun trying to fly it. At one stage it became lodged at the top of the magnolia tree and he had to climb half way up and give the branches a good shake to retrieve it. After half an hour or so, it was beginning to make its way back to him, although its predeliction was to soar towards the heavens and land in perpendicular style in the muddiest spot it could find. December 2007 saw a first for him: it was the first occasion he had had a hair cut of his own volition.
Happy New Year!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same day I had the close encounter of the funnel-web kind in Oz, I'd been out to a sheep station to watch the shearing and to try boomerang throwing. The former made me cry when I saw the sheep getting nicked by the blades and the latter made others cry - with laughter at my attempts. Several only just ducked in time ... I'd always thought I had good hand/eye co-ordination till I tried that. I'd been a decent javelin thrower at school, but the boomerang proved more like my attempts at discus, when I nearly took the games mistress's head off one day. L

8:59 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Happy New Year, WW.

10:52 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I love Scrabble, it's my favourite game. I even have the French version.

Happy New Year WW, I look forward to meeting up again in 2008.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Mutterings and Meanderings said...

That's the sort of toy you want - something that keeps 'em amused for hours ...

9:30 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Buon anno a te, WW - and who knows? Maybe we'll meet during it. Auguri from Sicily.

9:37 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

Hmmm - I have a nephew who I suspect is like yours - beginning to get the notice of girls and wanting to appear " cool"

4:46 pm  
Blogger Dave Cole said...

WW - I just wanted to wish you a very happy and prosperous new year.

xD.

11:01 pm  
Blogger Swearing Mother said...

Happy New Year Winchester Whisperer, looking forward to reading more of you in 2008!

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home