Wednesday, August 27, 2008

So where were you?

My favourite member of the Labour Party, Dave Cole (http://davecole.org/blog/) has sent me a tag asking where I was at the time of various key events during the past few years. Two of them escaped my notice, namely, JFK's assassination and England's World Cup Semi-Final against Germany on July 4 1990. I don't really remember the precise event of Maggie's resignation on 22 November 1990 either, just that it was rather a relief after all the hounding by the press (similar to what GB's going through now) but at the same time disappointing that her Cabinet could wield the knife on her after all her achievements.
I remember exactly, on the other hand, where I was when I heard about Princess Diana's death and the Twin Towers collapsing. During the Bank Holiday weekend of 1997 I was staying at Arley Hall in Cheshire where my erstwhile husband was playing cricket. There had been a very jolly dinner on the Saturday evening which rather delayed Sunday breakfast. Our party was alerted to the news, bleary-eyed, by a dashing cricketer at 11am.
In September 2001 I was Finance Director of a software company in California and it was holding its bi-annual board meeting in Paris. I had enjoyed a few delicious days holiday in Champagne and on September 11th checked into my hotel in Paris where I was told what had happened by some French people who were checking out. At first I couldn't understand exactly what they were talking about but all became apparent when I switched on the TV in my room. I was then unable to fly back to San Francisco the next day which was a stroke of luck as I could go to London for a few days holiday instead.
I'm passing this tag on to King Lear, Welshcakes, Ellee and Mopsa.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I can't remember where I was for those two tags which Dave Cole passed on to you either. I can tell you that I was preparing breakfast in my kitchen when I heard the news on the radio about Princess Diana's death and was stunned. I felt so heartbroken for her two sons, and how they had to go to church that morning. Stiff upper lip, etc. So cruel and heartless of the royal family.

And I was also in the kitchen when I heard about the Twin Towers crash, but this time I was cleaning out the cupboards. I was listening to Radio 5 Live and instantly put on Sky News to follow it live on TV. In fact, I saw the second one crash on TV after switching it on after the very first announcement.
I remember going to collect my son my school and telling other parents about it at the school gate. None of us realised the full horror and significance behind it then. How could a human being behave in such an evil way?

10:49 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

I'm honoured - I'm sure JFK was because you were no more than a twinkle in an eye, whilst I applaud not watching football. Mrs. Lear was actually in the air at the time - she was flying on business to the Canary Islands. Noone mentioned before the flight that anything had happened, nor at the other end, and it was only when I spoke to her about 7pm and said " I've spoken to all the girls and they are all fine," that she wondered why. Youngest Miss Lear was in the States at the time.

5:35 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Ellee - the kitchen is the hub of the household! How's your new kitchen coming along, by the way?

Hi KL - those Princesses Lear give you a lot of headaches!

7:53 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

ww - it was every thus - the Princess and the Pea springs to mind.....

6:55 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

IƬve written before about where I was on 31/8/97 and about the Kennedy assasination. Sporting events just pass me by, too!
I was working at home when I heard about the Twin Towers: radio 4 was, as always, on in the background and suddenly I realises that this was not the lunchtime edition of "The Archers". Like everyone else, I was then mesmerised by the horrific events for the ret of the day.

8:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home