Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chinese churches

I'm now in Hong Kong but when I was in China I went on a 3 hour drive from Fuzhou to Xiamen and was struck by how many new churches I saw along the way. I remarked upon this to the German engineer and he said there were many missionaries in the area. He said the one child policy (which is now more relaxed) has had the effect of concentrating people's minds on making money and that the younger generation is looking for a spiritual outlet. They reject the traditional Buddhism of their parents and many are converting to Christianity, partly simply to rebel against the old values.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Interesting, WW.

7:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

capitalism.

1:58 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi ED and Anon,
I'm not sure that it is as simple as rejecting capitalism. It's finding a spiritual balance, of course, but why not stick to Buddhism? I'm not sure what the Buddhist response to the one child policy would be but I am sure that it is condemned by Christians.

7:43 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, that is interesting.

9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home