Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Engelbert Humperdinck


I'm looking forward to seeing Hansel & Gretel, the most famous of Engelbert Humperdinck's works. His namesake is perhaps more famous: the man who said, "No crooner has the range I have. I can hit notes a bank could not cash." His singing took him to the Knokke contest in Belgium in 1966 and he was number 1 in the Belgian charts but Arnold Dorsey's career really took off in 1967 when he changed his name to Engelbert Humperdinck. People admired EH II's looks but don't you think EH I looks rather dashing?

8 Comments:

Blogger Angus said...

'Dashing' is evidently in the eye of the beholder.

" I can hit notes a bank could not cash". Who would have believed such wit tripped from EH II's lips ?

1:11 pm  
Anonymous kinglear said...

Do you remember MAM?? EHII, together with Tom Jones and a third singer ( can't remember who) monetised their earnings into a public company.
My memory is it worked all right for a bit but then when one of them ( I think TJ) started earning more than the other two put together,it slightly fell apart.

3:49 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Belgium does this to people..........

9:55 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very dashing indeed!

3:29 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Tu n'aimes pas les moustaches, M'Goose?

No KL - the only MAM I remember, sad case that I am, is Mercury Asset Management

LOL ED

Bene, WL

3:11 pm  
Anonymous kinglear said...

.. It was Management & Music Management I think

7:39 pm  
Anonymous kinglear said...

Sorry Management and Agency Music...

7:40 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Lucky you, I read the good reviews.

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home