Tuesday, September 18, 2012

English Baccalaureate Certificate?

It is very disappointing, don't you think, that the Department of Education is so lacking in imagination that the name it has come up with for yet another new school qualification is the English Baccalaureate Certificate? Education used to one of the country's centres of excellence. I suppose its current dismal state is in fact personified by this dreary nomenclature by the department. 


Blogger Angus said...

So many questions still to be answered. Not least why is baccalaureate spelt with an e at the end in English and without in French ?

12:59 pm  
Blogger Winchester whisperer said...

Absolument, Angus!

1:15 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

1. Will it been known as the EBC?
2. The reason for baccalaureate with an e, is to be found in the fact that the English for "lauréat" is "laureate".
Do you not think so Angus and WW?

3:25 pm  
Blogger Winchester whisperer said...

Oui Ed.EBC not ABC. You make a valid poiint about laureate but why not simply call it a Laureate Certificate or a Certificate Laureate? Why English when it covers Wales as well?

5:13 pm  
Anonymous kinglear said...

They can't spell it in Welsh....

7:03 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, you'd think they could have given it a better name.

9:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home