Thursday, July 31, 2008

China to Africa part 2

I have commented before on this blog about the Chinese colonisation of Africa. International and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) which is the largest Chinese bank is working with Standard Bank, the largest bank in Africa in which ICBC has a 20% stake, to look for acquisition targets in African oil and gas, telecommunications, base metals and power sectors. Beijing expects trade with Africa to reach $100bn by 2010.
I'm looking forward to a day at Glorious Goodwood tomorrow and hope that the weather will be better than my last expedition there when it was so cold that I had to invest in a pashmina at the course. I shan't see my old favourite, Henrythenavigator, who won the Sussex Stakes on Tuesday but expect some fun nevertheless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I hope you have a good day at the races tomorrow. Remember, only the bookies end up winers.
We are going to Ascot next month as part of my son's 18th birthday celebrations.

2:04 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you, Ellee! Are you going to Ascot on 27 September?

7:34 am  
Blogger Dave Cole said...

Current Chinese practice in India seems rather similar to mercantile imperialism. I'm still annoyed by the failure of the hard left to acknowledge that the CCP is a deeply unpleasant organisation and not at all communist - not that that would be an improvement.

9:53 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Dave - you need to shake up your Party - how woeful our own political ideology has become! Do you blame it on dumbing down or media brainwashing?

10:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home