Friday, October 17, 2008

Culinary flops

I invited some friends over for dinner the other day and thought I'd be well prepared so made the pudding the day before. I made a rectangular ginger sponge which I then rolled up in the form of a Swiss roll, with a pureed apple filling. There was rather too much filling so I spooned up the excess as it bulged out of the ends, covered the whole thing with cling film and left it overnight. When I came down in the morning to make the tea, I saw that the whole thing had collapsed. It was no longer a beautiful roll but rather a splurge of dark sponge with apple seeping out of it. An idea came to me: cover the whole thing with whipped cream and pieces of candied ginger. I did not reveal this disaster and to my amazement my friends marvelled when it was placed on the table.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not looking for a toy boy, are you Ms Whisperer ?

9:31 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Ah Anon - that is a tempting offer but I'm cutting back on expenditure at the moment.

10:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm not looking for a 'sugar mummy' - since with a girl as clearly adaptable as yourself I could be very low maintenance indeed..

10:34 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

You came down to make the tea? That's the sort of gesture that makes a toy boy utterly irrelevant....THAT's true love.....

4:28 pm  
Blogger Mopsa said...

Do you remember Delia's squidgy chocolate roll? The same thing always happened, so you were forced to cover with thickly whipped cream and sprinkles of dark choc.... I NEVER complained!

8:43 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I wonder who your admirer is! Lucky you! I prefer older men myself.

And yes, one has to rely on inner resources during culinary disappointments to turn them into triumphs.

7:38 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Anon - in my (limited) experience, toyboys are never low maintenance.

Hi KL - yes I make the tea for my father who moved in with me last year after my mother died.

Morning Mopsa - that is a good recipe!

Greetings Ellee - I'm sure you're not short of admirers.

8:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home