Monday, October 20, 2008

East or West?

A Finn asked me whether I thought Poland was in Western or Eastern Europe. Never having been to Poland, I ventured, "West." "You are very PC!" he replied. "If you think Poland's west, you must think Finland's also west as some parts of Finland overlap with Poland." I wasn't at all sure about that. "No," I replied, "I'd say Finland's in Northern Europe." He was not at all amused about being asked about Iceland. "Iceland is two and a half times nearer the UK than Finland," he said, and poured himself another vodka.

4 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

Well, he is a Finn.....

12:01 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

They're very dour, aren't they?

10:37 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I think everyone knows where Iceland is now.

8:59 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

He was a prickly Finn, Ellee

9:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home